Universal Credit by United Kingdom Government

Know all about your Universal Credit by UK Government

Know all about your Universal Credit by UK Government

What Universal Credit is

  • Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly - or twice a month for some people in Scotland. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.

If you already get other benefits, Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits and tax credits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you’re getting any of these benefits or tax credits, you do not need to do anything unless:

  • you have a change of circumstances you need to report
  • you get a letter called a ‘Migration Notice’ telling you that you must start to claim Universal Credit

You’ll stop getting these benefits and tax credits when you or your partner claims Universal Credit. If you or your partner gets Pension Credit, this will also stop if one of you claims Universal Credit.

This will not affect any other benefits you’re getting, such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Carer’s Allowance.

Eligibility for Universal Credit

You may be able to get Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or need help with your living costs. You could be:

  • out of work
  • working (including self-employed or part time)
  • unable to work, for example because of a health condition

To claim you must:

  • live in the UK
  • be aged 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17)
  • be under State Pension age
  • have £16,000 or less in money, savings and investments

What you'll get in Universal Credit

How much Universal Credit you get depends on:
  • your standard allowance
  • any extra amounts that apply to you
  • any money taken off your payment

Standard allowance - You’ll get one standard allowance for your household.

How much you’ll get Monthly standard allowance
If you’re single and under 25 £265.31
If you’re single and 25 or over £334.91
If you live with your partner and you’re both under 25 £416.45 (for you both)
If you live with your partner and either of you are 25 or over £525.72 (for you both)

For more details, visit https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/print